Tuesday, June 30, 2009

One good thing about the recession.

Elio Grasso, Vigna Martina, Barbera d'Alba, 2005. 

Well finally, after 13 years I paid off my last student loan from Vanderbilt, and this was our celebratory wine!

While I would have preferred Krug, I have to say I was very very satisfied with this little beauty. I just love love Elio Grasso. It's traditional and restrained, but not dirty or oxidized. It's all done in neutral barrel, which gives a spicy complexity to the wine, while, of course, not imparting any over the top vanilla flavors. 

With only 2.2 hectares of this under vine, we usually only buy a few bottles of this a year as it seems to disappear shortly after its released. Thanks to the recession I've seen it around a little more than usual. See the recession isn't ALL bad, right??

Wine House $27.99. 

No comments: