Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Godson.

Tasca d'Almerita, Cabernet Sauvignon, Contea di Sclafani, DOC , 2002. 

We loved this wine,and honestly, I wasn't expecting a lot. Cabernet from Sicily promised to be raisined and dense and dirty. Instead it was totally clean with really good intensity of tannins and great complex concentration of fruit AND acidity. It actually had good acidity. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth every penny. I'd drink this over Bordeaux any day. 

While I usually don't say much about the producer, because there are lots of places you can find that info on your own, Jeff Z. from Rosso Wine Shop, where I bought the wine for $40.00, sent me this info.  

Tasca d’Almerita’s experiments with the most important international red variety have led to the creation of this outstanding Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine has focused the entire world’s attention on Sicily’s extraordinary but still little-known potential for creating truly impressive wines. Winner of many Italian and International awards, Tasca d’Almerita’s Cabernet Sauvignon is a very cosmopolitan wine. Made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon grown in estate vineyards planted at 1,600 to 1,950 feet above sea level with a south/southwestern exposure. This iconic Cabernet is aged for 18 months in oak barriques to achieve maximum elegance and refinement.

I love that it's COSMOPOLITAN! Just like me!!

This was actually a sort of "challenge" to a wine I wrote about a while back that reminded me of the Godfather. I have to say, Jeff was right. This wine just reeks of  violins and horse heads. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like the Winebow website to me.

Amy said...

Ha!! Well, Jeff didn't have any original material I guess. And boy do they have a lot of info on that Winebow site! :)

Jeff Zimmitti said...

Cut and paste, ma brutha. That's what I do: taste, cut and paste, and take advil. What a life.