Friday, February 26, 2010

Chianti at it's peak...

Rocca delle Macie, Chianti Classico, Riserva, 2004.

I liked this wine, but didn't love it. It was so inexpensive though for Riserva that I am cutting it some slack. I thought it was really nicely balanced, moderate plus alcohol, grippy but integrated tannins and nice sour cherry fruit, however it was getting a little dried out and these was some VA on the nose that I usually find pleasant in Italian wine, but to me it seemed like this one was just on the verge of being oxidized.

BUT the good news is that it got better the longer it was opened, which doesn't make sense actually since I felt it was already a little oxidized (from long barrel age perhaps?) I would suggest a nice rough and tumble decanting and then splashing around in your glass for a bit. It's definitely showing some nice secondary savory notes on the nose. Drink now!

$24.99 Rosso Wine Shop

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy shit, $13k+/year on wine? I think I'm in love with you. Would be interested to hear what you have to say about: http://bureaucratist.blogspot.com/2010/04/chianti-italian-burgundy-2006-straccali.html .