Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hmm... am I having a bad week or is it just me?

Falchetto, Pian Scorrone, Barbera d'Asti, 2007.

I picked this wine up from a small retail store I happened to drive by in Atwater Village called 55 Degrees. The store had lots of semi-expensive Italian wines in that $30-$45 price range. I had a hard time finding one I wanted for $20, but they have a large selection and maybe I was just in a rush and not looking hard enough. It's just that if it were up to me (which I guess it is), I'd drive to Montrose to Rosso for a more focused Italian inventory.  

When I saw this, I thought SCORE! I totally dig Barbera and it was $22.99, so in my price range. 

BUT, like the Aussie wine below, this wine ended up just not being for me. Actually, we ended up drinking about 3 sips and saying, this ain't working! and abandoning with the wine barely below the shoulder. 

However, that doesn't mean it wasn't a decent wine. I just have trouble with what I call "tanky wines" It just tasted like it was made in a tank. Loads of very primary raspberry and strawberry fruit and moderate plus acidity, if you like those qualities you will like this wine. And 55 degrees is worth checking out because its a family run business and we love family run businesses. And they do tastings in a very cute little basement area. 

If anyone else has tasted this or been to 55 degrees I'd love to know you're thoughts!! 

1 comment:

AVN said...

We find $15 wine all the time at 55 Degrees... Just gotta ask the nice people behind the counter...