Friday, March 6, 2009

A chip off the old block.

La Sirene de Giscours, Margaux, 2003. 

Peter and I drank a half bottle of the flagship wine from this estate, Chateau Giscours 2005, and it was delicious. Dense, rich and very pencil leady. I like that in Bordeaux. BUT it was $49.99 for the half bottle. So we won't be doing that anymore. 

Anyhoo, I found this at Bob's Market in Venice. The second label for $29.99 and I thought, well, that's a deal compared to the mother ship. 

Apparently there were some aoc problems with this estate in 1998 when the French Authorities discovered (GASP!) receipts for oak chips. The estate and several others were put on trial and it was revealed that oak chips were used in this wine and not the esteemed Chateau Giscours. It's safe to say that oak chips are no longer used for this wine. And I say one of you give it a try and get back to me. 

I mean, why should I always be the guinea pig?

No comments: