Saturday, December 20, 2008

Burgundy in Loire?

Foucault, Clos Rougeard, Saumur-Champigny, 2004.

We loved this little Loire baby. It wasn't cheap for Saumur, but it had great texture and a combination of elegance and lots of great red fruit flavors. Great acidity. It definitely has Burgundian elements to it, in the silky texture. There is nothing green or unripe or weirdo Cabernet Francy about this wine. Straight up delish, intense and complex! 

Ok, the killer is it was $55 at the Wine House! For Saumur?? That's crazy! But it was so fun and exciting that it did not disappoint. 

We just saw it on Wine Searcher for $48 at K&L. So there you go... comparative shopping!

I had a great Chinon from the Cheese Store of Silverlake that was much less expensive and I'm dying to blog on it, but I can't figure out what I did with the photo... to come as soon as I find it. 

No comments: