Saturday, August 23, 2008

Not Gwyneth's baby.

I love this wine, and not just because I sell it. 

Jo Pithon, La Croix Picot, Savennieres, 2005. An awesome chenin blanc from the Loire Valley. (2 Loire wines in a  row!! You're killing me Larry!)

Sommeliers literally wet themselves over it and wanna be lovers with it. That is a weird thing to say, I know, but my point is its truly one of those remarkable values, a little geeky but simultaneously lip smacking good. 

Your lips will smack because the acidity if so bright and fresh, but it's balanced by these terrific notes of hazelnuts, bruised red apple and a tinge of new oak. 

Speaking of apples, you can get this at Bryan Ogden's new resto Apple located at 665 Robertson Blvd. for around $60 a bottle. Opening this weekend with Mark Hefter, sommelier extraordinaire from Las Vegas. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm the sommelier at Claimjumper. I wet myself over a bottle of Sutter Home White Zin once. Tonight we're doing a BV flight - white zin, coastal pinot noir and merlot. I don't do the cab because everytime I drink it my neck swells like a boa constrictor and my top shirt button breaks. One time the button landed in a customer's Nacho Platter. And because of that Headquarters docked my pay to $200/week. Sometimes I hate my job because when its slow they make me change the light bulbs in the parking lot, when what I desire most is to turn customers on to something new and funky like a red zin from Dry Creek with 18% alcohol. The good days definitely outweigh the bad, and each day presents a new challenge like what to pair with Parmesan Garlic Rings. Come in tonight and I'll hook you up.

Seth