Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My favorite rose ever?


This is one of the best / most interesting roses / rosados I've possibly ever had. Lopez de Heredia, 1997, from Rioja.... $27.99 at CheeseStore of Silverlake.

I know, you're thinking, 1997 Rose? Really? And yes really. This wine is barrel aged for 4 and a half years before bottling. Then it's left in bottle until the winemaker deems it appropriate to release. It's just insanely complex and delicious. For those of you who swear by Domaine Tempier rose (which is now a whopping $39.99 at most small retail outlets) try this baby. It's got incredible depth, viscosity and concentration of flavor. It's not just a serious rose, it's a very serious wine.

And it's comforting, like mashed potatoes. Yes, that's it, it's the mashed potatoes of the rose world. A real treat for those of us who like to treat ourselves.

And Chris (pictured) will recommend a fantastic Spanish cheese to accompany this, and then you can die and go to heaven.

P.S. I'm not the only blogger out there who loves this wine... check this out...

1 comment:

Richard Auffrey said...

Thanks for the mention.

This was the oldest Rose that I have ever had and it was wonderful. I am glad others are enjoying it as well.

FYI: I added you to my list of women bloggers (http://passionatefoodie.blogspot.com/2008/03/women-wine-and-internet.html)