Monday, February 25, 2008

My Foray Into Whole Foods.


On Sunday I went to brunch with 3 friends to Lilly's in Venice, we were sitting outside enjoying the cool winter air, when they dropped a bomb on me. They all buy their wine at Whole Foods. This isn't a bad thing, it's just shocking to me because I would never buy wine in a grocery store. Why? Well, mostly because of (my perceived) lack of selection and the idea that all grocery stores case stack countless generic wine brands. So I've given myself a challenge. Go grocery shopping and buy wine from Whole Foods. It's only democratic. Tonight Peter and I bought a little Spanish wine, Emilio Moro, Ribera del Duero, 2001 for $19.99 (discounted from $24.99, I love a sale!) from the Whole Foods at 3rd and Fairfax. This is a wine that AOC Restaurant used to pour by the glass, and I remember it fondly. I think it is hands down the BEST BUY that I've ever seen at any grocery store EVER. The fact that it has some age on on only makes it more appealing to me. The texture is velvety, soft and inviting, with sweet dried red fruit... and it's just starting to take on those very pleasant characteristics of aging... a little nutty and complex and delicious!

No comments: