Monday, February 22, 2010

2 Napa wines.


Summers, Napa Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2005.

I tasted this in a line-up of Summers Zin, the CS, Matuco Malbec and then 3 wines that I had poured into smalelr bottles for blind tasting. I htink they were Cht. de Negly Languedoc Roussillon, 2007? Olivier Pithon, La Coulee, Cotes de Roussillon, 2007 and a Rioja of some sort. Can't remember that last one!

What I liked about the Summers is that it was very typical of the region of production (in others words I nailed it in the blind tasting - go me!), in this case Napa Valley. It had complex notes of new French oak (those lovely cinnamon and nutmeg baking spice character) and very clean cassis fruit. A really beautifully structured wine with fine-grained tannins, moderate plus, refreshing acidity and a long persistent finish. I preferred it to the Zinfandel mostly b/c I prefer French oak to American oak and Cabernet to Zinfandel.

I still felt the Zin was very nice and balanced. Not nearly as extracted or alcoholic as a lot of Zinfandels can be. It was more high-toned with red berry fruit than the CS which leans toward a black fruit flavor profile. So different strokes for different folks.

Nice to taste some good domestic wines! They are both available on the Summers Winery website. $35.00 for the Zinfandel and $65 for the CS Reserve.

No comments: