Thursday, August 6, 2009

Chinon blah blah blah.

Philippe Alliet, Chinon, l'Husserie, 2006. 

A great deal at K&L, $27.99. 

This is what they have to say about it:

Philippe Alliet with his wife Claude work 17 hectares of vines in and around their village of Cravant-les-Coteaux in the Chinon appellation. The only producer in Chinon to land two stars in the Revue de Vin de France's prestigeous Classement, Alliet uses no chemicals, plows his vineyards continuously is a minimalist in the cellar. He believes that the wines are made in the vineyard. The grapes are destemmed completely followed by a long fermentation, but not by an extended maceration. The wines are never drying, and Alliet believes that wine should taste good in the first year and in the 10th year. The result is astonishing with huge extraction, perfectly balanced fruit, tannins and acidity to make the wines approchable in their youth, but able to age forever.

Blah, blah, blah, nothing new... its made in the vineyard, no chemicals, blah, blah. Who cares right? Does it taste good?

Well, my friends, I'm happy to report that it's delicious! Lots of fresh raspberry fruit with savory mushroom like undertones. Grab a bottle before its gone... You know once I write on a wine, the whole city goes out and buys it... I'm that popular...

..hello? Is there anyone out there???

3 comments:

Cabfrancophile said...

I saw the Alliet wines on sale at K&L Wines. If there are any left next time I place an order at least one should find a place in my cart. I'm especially interested in the L'Huisserie because I've read it comes from a clay and limestone terroir adjacent to Joguet's Chene Vert vineyard. I'd pay $28 for that!

Cabfrancophile said...

Oh, and I got the 'basic' Alliet Chinon cuvee a while back for $20. If I had waited, I could have gotten the Old Vines cuvee for the same price. Oh well.

Amy said...

I love a blog dedicated to Cab Franc! A blog after my own wine soaked heart!